Seeking to join or collaborate with HABits Lab
At HABits Lab you will have exposure to faculty in the field of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science (EECS) and from the School of Medicine.
You will be surrounded by world-class faculty and students, and an environment that helps solve and identify health problems through passive sensing technology and data analytics.
Students that join our lab have the following qualities (if you have four or more of the following qualities then contact Prof. Nabil Alshurafa):
- Passion for solving health problems and working with passive sensors. You’re always thinking about how to use passive sensing to mitigate existing health and behavioral problems.
- Passion for programming. This drive keeps your gears turning late at night, and you find yourself wanting to stop talking with friends to come back and work in the lab. You keep tackling that bug or memory leak in your code to make sure you finish your project on time.
- Strong work-ethic that gets things done. You take responsibility for your project/research.
- Respectful of others for our time together. You always come to check-in meetings prepared with questions, and having documented everything you’ve worked on.
- Organization, such that you document your code, and think and plan before implementing new ideas.
- Engagement with students and faculty both in Medicine and Computer Science, without fear of asking questions.
- Habit of reading and writing continually. As a researcher you love reading new papers, and recording and sharing your own findings. You’re always staying up to speed on the latest in passive sensing research.
- Healthy obsession pointing to your dedication and investment in your work. You sleep dreaming about your data, how to solve your problems, and how to improve your results.
The health problems our society face will not be solved by one lab, but rather by an entire research community, we realize this fact and welcome collaboration. If there is interest in passive sensing data analytics you may contact Prof. Nabil Alshurafa (information above).
We are looking for a passionate Software Engineer to design, develop and install software solutions. The role will be to facilitate software design and deployment for a research lab bridging the fields of computer science and healthcare.
- Designing, developing and deploying cloud technology solutions
- Programming well-designed, testable, efficient code
- Running, debugging, and refactoring code
- Managing large datasets
- Managing and organizing codebase with github
- Design and implement software solutions
- Write well-designed, testable code
- Produce specifications and determine operational feasibility
- Integrate software components into a fully functional software system
- Document and maintain software functionality
- Troubleshoot, debug and upgrade existing systems
- Proven work experience as a Software Engineer or Software Developer
- Experience designing cloud technology solutions
- Strong understanding of git and github
- Understanding on Linux and Bash
- Strong understanding and production experience working with Docker container environments
- Knowledge of databases, SQL and NoSQL
- Restful API development experience
- Ability to write clean documentation
- BS degree in Computer Science, Engineering or relevant field
- Machine Learning / Data Science knowledge
- 3D Printing experience
- Hardware/Firmware experience
- Experience developing and deploying web applications (Flask)
Research Project Manager
Manages all activities associated with biomedical &/or social-behavioral research studies considered very complex by the inclusion of several of the following: multiple investigators, teams, sites, sub-contracts, participants, longitudinal assessments/ interventions; &/or multi-million dollar budgets. Ensures completion of contract requirements & client specifications.
Oversees day-to-day operations including
- Identifying & securing needed resources; creating, implementing, monitoring, & updating project plans
- Facilitating meetings with appropriate parties; tracking tasks/deliverables to ensure timelines, milestones &/or goals are attained
- Monitoring & reporting progress as appropriate; & resolving or escalating issues in a timely manner
- May co-author scientific papers for presentation & publication & coordinates writing, submission & administration of grants
- Ensures that all study activities are completed by strictly following Good Clinical Practices (GCP) & all current local, state, & federal laws, regulations, guidance, policy & procedure developed by the NU Institutional Review Board (IRB), Food & Drug Administration (FDA) Code of Federal Regulations (CFR), & the International Conference on Harmonization (ICH).
- Provides complex scientific & technical leadership in determining research priorities & the plan, design & execution of research projects ensuring that programs of investigation meet specified objectives.
- Plans, develops & implements new processes & protocols to support research studies & maximize/extend study capabilities.
- Oversees completion of study activities per protocol.
- Ensures that study protocols are in compliance with appropriate rules & regulations & reviews study progress and recommends revisions, amendments, and/or other study changes as necessary to better meet needs of sponsors.
- Reviews scientific literature & evaluates & recommends applicable techniques & procedures.
- Analyzes, evaluates & interprets data to determine relevance to research
- Assists PI in developing statistical methods & models to analyze & report data based upon study requirements.
- Prepares results & may co-author scientific papers for presentation & publication & disseminates information via seminars, lectures, etc.
- Creates data for use in grant submission & develop new proposals for research including obtaining financial support.
- Acts as liaison between sponsoring agencies, collaborating organizations &/or other research &/or educational institutions.
- Ensures that all study documents associated with current local, state, & federal regulatory guidelines, requirements, laws & research protocols are completed in a timely manner.
- May create &/or manage research study budget which may include deciding on & approving expenditures of funds based on budget.
- Monitors accounts.
- Negotiates prices & specifications with vendors.
- Purchases supplies, materials, equipment & services.
- Ensures appropriate allocation & compliance.
- Invoices study sponsors for study tests/procedures.
- Coordinates & participates in budgetary negotiations with industry sponsors.
- Trains, directs, assigns duties to & may supervise lab EEs, students, residents &/or fellows.
- Acts as a mentor in regard to education of junior coordinators.
- Successful completion of a full 4-year course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a bachelor's or higher degree in a major such as social or health science or related; OR appropriate combination of education and experience and 5 years' research study or other relevant experience required; OR
- Successful completion of a full course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a master's or higher degree in a major such as social or health science or related; OR appropriate combination of education and experience and 3 years' research study or other relevant experience.
- Supervisory or project management experience required.
- Must complete NU's IRB CITI training before interacting with any participants & must re-certify every 3 years.
Hardware Engineer Associate
We are looking for a skilled Hardware Engineer to faciliate lab device hardware design and implementation for a research lab bridging the fields of computer science and healthcare.
- Experience working with and debugging common communication & debug protocols (JTAG, SWD, SPI, UART, I2C, etc.)
- Experience working with BLE interface is a must.
- Proficiency in software programing language: C/C++, Python
- Experience with Git
- Experience with usage of laboratory equipment such as oscilloscopes, power supplies, logic analyser.
- Experience with schematic capture, PCB layout, and analysis techniques for multi-layer board designs.
- Experience with PCB/A design embedded systems.
- Proficient in SMT Soldering
- Perform electronic circuit design, debugging, and validation for low power, battery-based, 8/16/32-bit embedded microprocessor systems with long lifespan and high-reliability requirements.
- Familiarity with schematic capture, PCBA layout software, and circuit simulation tools.
- Formulate specifications for parts, processes, and tests as needed for product design, validation, and manufacture.
- Maintain documentation of designs, creation of prototypes, testing protocols
- Experience in 3D printing
- RTOS experience
- Experience with Eagle CAD.
680 N. Lakeshore Dr., Suite 1400
Chicago, IL 60611